Local blogger Pier to Pier Trekking recently wrote about walking the 18.5km round trip from Dell Quay via our beautiful dairy farm. Combining his love of local food with a love of exploring the Sussex countryside, Simon picked a tub full of local blackberries on his walk which he took home to make into a delicious Upside-Down Pear and Blackberry Sponge served with a generous helping of our award-winning Salted Caramel Ice Cream. It looks the perfect autumnal treat, so we thought that we would share the recipe here on our blog.
30g Granulated Sugar
175g Caster Sugar
3 Eggs, Separated
Grated Zest & Juice of 1 lemon
150g Self Raising Flour
Caroline’s Dairy Salted Caramel Ice Cream to Serve
- Preheat the oven to 170 C/GM 3. Peel the pears and chop into small chunks, wash the blackberries and put the fruit into a small pan with 30g of granulated sugar. Stew down until the fruit is soft.
- Grease 6/8 ramekins (quantity varies depending on size of ramekin) then put a spoonful of sugar in each and swirl around until all lightly coated with butter and sugar. Put a dollop of stewed fruit at the base of each ramekin.
- Beat the butter with the caster sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks and lemon zest and then gently stir in the flour and lemon juice. Whisk the egg whites until stiff but not dry and fold through into the mixture.
- Pour mixture into each ramekin on top of fruit mixture until evenly divided between ramekins. Then bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until cooked through, inserted skewer should come out clean.
- Turn out onto a plate and serve with Caroline’s Dairy Salted Caramel Ice Cream.
If you have any recipes that you love to serve up with our ice cream then we would love to hear them! Email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your recipe suggestions with a picture.